31/07/2012 16:43 | By Lucy Mapstone, editor, MSN Celebrity

Keira Knightley shows off gothic side in new photo shoot

We're so used to seeing Keira Knightley looking her English rose self more than anything, apart from the occasional period drama movie role where she wears a corset, so it was a bit of surprise to see her go gothic in the September issue of Harper's Bazaar.

Keira Knightley (© Ellen Von Unwerth for Harper's Bazaar magazine UK)

Keira Knightley, photographed by Ellen Von Unwerth for Harper's Bazaar magazine UK

The striking British beauty, 27, was photographed by iconic photographer Ellen Von Unwerth for the issue. Featured across 11 pages, Keira posed in high-end designer clothes from the likes of Balenciaga, Chanel and Gucci.

Speaking to the magazine ahead of the release of her new film Anna Karenina, the star explains how she didn't really feel confident until she reached 25, despite the fact she was an international movie star at the tender age of 17.

"I hated late teens, I hated early twenties, all of that, I think a lot of people do," she said.

"Possibly I think I'm one of those people that always would have done and it didn't really matter where I was in life. But I was totally uncomfortable in everything.

"And all of a sudden 25 hit, and I was like, 'Ah, I think I'm all right'. And actually after 25 it's been pretty good. I definitely feel like I've been around the block a couple of times, and that's great."

However, she's still not so confident that she likes every aspect of being one of the world's most famous actresses, including sitting front row at fashion shows.

"This sounds ridiculous but I don't actually like having my picture taken and I tend to avoid anything where I have that... I would totally sneak in the back! And sit in the back row," she explained.

The star, who is currently filming her next movie role in Can A Song Save Your Life? in New York with the likes of Mark Ruffalo and Adam Levine, also talked about working with another famous Brit, Jude Law.

Ellen Von Unwerth for Harper's Bazaar magazine UK (© Ellen Von Unwerth for Harper's Bazaar magazine UK)

Keira Knightley photographed by Ellen Von Unwerth for Harper's Bazaar magazine UK

Harper's Bazaar (© Ellen Von Unwerth for Harper's Bazaar magazine UK)

According to her, Jude looked "brilliant" after takes while filming Anna Karenina, because he kept his wig and make-up on!

"No wonder he kept that hat on... [the make-up and wig] were the worst. Poor f***er. I'd get to the end of the day, take my make-up and wig off, and I'd look s**t. He'd take the make-up and wig off and look f***ing brilliant.

"And everyone would say, 'Oh yeah! Good-looking man underneath!'" she said.

Keira recently became engaged to Klaxons rocker James Righton, and the cool British pair have been spotted around New York looking loved-up and relaxed ahead of their big day. However, despite the fact she'll soon be a Mrs, Keira is all about the women and having females as mates.

She said: "Women get a really bad rep but they're f***ing excellent.

"I keep on having moments with groups of girls where I just think, girls are excellent, like really excellent. There is nothing like a friendship group of women, and for girly nights or whatever. It's the best f***ing thing in the world.

"As much as we can be bitchy and gossipy and all the rest of it, I think equally if there's something actually really wrong, we talk about it and we actually air it. And if it's an argument, then it's an argument, but we actually have it out, as opposed to that festering thing where suddenly you never speak to somebody ever again."

Amen, sister!

Full interview in the September issue of Harper's Bazaar on sale Thursday 2 August. Also available as digital edition.

She is a beautiful girl and this is much nicer than the orange tan/plastic boobies look! And some of us gothy types do love gold!
01/08/2012 09:55

The foul language is probably an attempt to sound cool or something. It just comes off as cheap and unitelligent, though.

01/08/2012 11:43

That is NOT a gothic look... know what you're talking about when you make an article or you just make yourself look stupid...

01/08/2012 09:55

I'm not sure this photoshoot can be classed as gothic... I mean first of all, she's wearing a gold crown in picture 1. Gold isn't in line with the look. It should be silver or dark blue - a cold colour. Secondly her eye make-up isn't dark enough either, it should always always primarily be black. Or else dark blue, deep purple, dark red etc..

Thumbs down on the swearing, it shows an inability for one to articulate him or herself and it never suits posh people anyway.

01/08/2012 10:28
Seriously? I'm going to waste my money on buying the magazine after that tantalising snippet? The bad language is a no-no, it's unnecessary. When something is going in to print you have plenty of time to consider your answers to the normally inane questions. Keira, you haven't spiced the interview up by swearing, you've dumbed it down.
01/08/2012 09:53
She's ****ing awesome! lol didn't realize she spoke like that. Thought she was all prim and proper:)

(note the sarcasm in my first 3 words, shame you can't type your tone!)
I love the passionate picturesque language
its only miserable old farts who hate swearing its only words whats the point of inventing words if you cant use them and who decided which words were bad probably some religious control freak
01/08/2012 08:33
Striking beauty? I don't think so. I mean, she's pleasant enough, but there are many better looking women about. And talk about a potty mouth!
01/08/2012 13:40
She sounds cheap and inarticulate with her gutter language and constant use of the f-word. Disgusting ad unnecessary. Maybe she ought to take a crash course in English ... She's a disgrace to this country using language like that for all the world to read. Never mind her looks. It's the filth coming out of her pretty mouth that people will notice too.